Whipping up a crisp is an incredibly quick way to enjoy one of Maine’s most delicious summer treats: fresh blueberries. This tasty little recipe is sure to make you the hero of your next family meal, potluck, or barbeque.
- 6 cups wild Maine blueberries, preferably organic
- 1 tablespoon organic cornstarch
- 1/8 cup, or to taste, of your favorite Maine-produced sweetener, such as honey or maple syrup
- Pinch of Maine sea salt
- 1/2 cup Maine grown and ground flour
- 1/2 cup Maine grown and rolled oats
- 1/4 cup, or to taste, organic cane sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon, or to taste, ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon, or to taste, ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup chopped organic pecans (optional)
- At least 1/2 stick room temperature organic, grass-fed butter, cubed
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Toss blueberries, cornstarch, sweetener and a pinch of salt together in a bowl.
Combine flour, oats, cane sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and pecans in a bowl. Add butter and pinch into chunks. Mix with hands until it looks crumbly.
Add the blueberries into a 2-quart baking dish. Top evenly with the crumb mixture. Bake for 40 minutes.