November 2020 UPDATE: The Maine Department of Agriculture, Conservation and Forestry has updated the farmers’ market guidance. Many of the previous guidelines remain in effect. These guidelines provide clarity for indoor winter market operators and vendors. MFFM advises all markets to strictly follow the guidance provided. Any emerging information will be provided on the Department’s COVID-19 Information for Agriculture and Food Businesses page. MFFM is continuing to develop and share resources to assist markets in adopting these practices.
There’s a lot of information out there. MFFM will maintain up to date resources for market managers and vendors on this page:
Resource page from Beginning Farmers Resource Network – this document is a one-stop clearing house compiled by agricultural service organizations across the state.
Best Practices for Markets
CHECKLIST: MFFM created a checklist document for market vendors and managers to use to ensure that all market members are following best practices. Download the document by clicking the link to the right.
Primary Resources for Market Managers & Vendors
- Market Response Plan Example – Bangor Farmers’ Market
- Sick vendor protocol – Addendum for vendors to sign, and processes to follow
- Photos of Best Practices – Maine Markets Response to Covid-19
- Best Practices Webinar – Vendor Best Practices at Market
- How to handle shoppers who won’t wear masks.
- Face Coverings and Face Shields – Resource from US CDC
- Pre-ordering options
- Simple hand-washing station for your booth
Other helpful resources:
- Farmers Market Coalition Resource for Markets
- Examples of FM activities from across the country
- WEBINAR – How to set up a simple online store (using Square)
- Tips for cleaning SNAP Tokens
- Update your website! Learn from Belfast and Portland.
- How to host a conference call
Signage for your market – click here for our page full of FM signs (still in development)
Resources for Farmers
- Maine Department of Agriculture’s Info Page for Covid-19
- Growing Farmers.com: great web-based resource to walk you and your business through the crisis
- Small business loans/loan insurance: The Finance Authority of Maine (FAME) is partnering with the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) and local Maine lenders to offer special, limited-time loans and loan insurance to eligible Maine businesses affected by COVID-19. To learn more visit this link.
Markets making headlines during Covid-19
Email email@example.com for questions about this page.