June 2021 UPDATE: So far, for the 2021 season, there are no specific guidelines for farmers’ markets. Each market should decide what safety precautions they wish to put in place for the summer market season. MFFM encourages markets to continue follow guidelines shared by the Maine CDC and US CDC. We will help make sure markets are aware of any relevant updates. Below are a few suggestions, based on what we’re seeing in the field.
MFFM’s Covid-19 Guidelines – June 2021
1) Masks are optional for vendors and shoppers.
2) Keep vendor booths spaced out and physical distancing a priority. Put up signage telling shoppers to keep 6ft of distance between groups. When possible, use barriers & markers to help guide shoppers and encourage distancing. Especially with an increased likelihood of unmasked shoppers, markets should ensure that safe social distancing can still occur for everyone. This is a matter of keeping all shoppers feeling comfortable and safe.
Any emerging information will be provided on the Department’s COVID-19 Information for Agriculture and Food Businesses page.
Covid-19 Resources and Reference Docs for Markets
Best Practices for Markets
CHECKLIST: MFFM created a checklist document for market vendors and managers to use to ensure that all market members are following best practices. Download the document by clicking the link to the right.
Primary Resources for Market Managers & Vendors
- Market Response Plan Example – Bangor Farmers’ Market
- Sick vendor protocol – Addendum for vendors to sign, and processes to follow
- Photos of Best Practices – Maine Markets Response to Covid-19
- Best Practices Webinar – Vendor Best Practices at Market
- FM Legal Toolkit Resource on Navigating the ADA and Face Masks
- Face Coverings and Face Shields – Resource from US CDC
- Pre-ordering options
- Simple hand-washing station for your booth
Other helpful resources:
- Resource page from Beginning Farmers Resource Network – this document is a one-stop clearing house compiled by agricultural service organizations across the state.
- Farmers Market Coalition Resource for Markets
- Examples of FM activities from across the country
- WEBINAR – How to set up a simple online store (using Square)
- Tips for cleaning SNAP Tokens
- Update your website! Learn from Belfast and Portland.
- How to host a conference call
Signage for your market – click here for our page full of FM signs (still in development)
Resources for Farmers
- Maine Department of Agriculture’s Info Page for Covid-19
- Growing Farmers.com: great web-based resource to walk you and your business through the crisis
- Small business loans/loan insurance: The Finance Authority of Maine (FAME) is partnering with the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) and local Maine lenders to offer special, limited-time loans and loan insurance to eligible Maine businesses affected by COVID-19. To learn more visit this link.
Markets making headlines during Covid-19
Resources that are no longer in effect due to updated guidelines:
- How to handle shoppers who won’t wear masks.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org for questions about this page.