For many shoppers, farmers’ markets feel like a safer alternative to grocery stores during the pandemic. Even in the winter, many farmers’ markets in Maine are open with protective measures in place for the well-being of both vendors and shoppers per Governor Mills orders.
Looking for a winter market? Check out the list.
Click here for a list of SNAP/Maine Harvest Bucks markets.
What to Expect at Markets
- It is mandatory to wear a mask or face covering at markets unless you are medically exempt. (Executive Order 55)
- You may be able to pre-order food online. Check your local market’s website or FB page to see if you can pre-order.
- Bundle up! At many markets you may be shopping outside. At some markets, you may have to wait in line outside.
- Keep 6 feet distance between you and all other people.
- Most booths are full-service, farmers will pick out your food for you.
- Follow market signage – Some markets have 1-way traffic flows, keep an eye out for signs directing foot traffic.
- Stay home if you are sick, please.
- SNAP and Maine Harvest Bucks are still in operation – learn more via this link.
- Eat lots of fruits and vegetables! They’re key to a healthy immune system.
- Vendors are taking the following precautions:
- Pre-bagging most food items
- Offering contact-free payment options
- Disinfecting surfaces frequently
- Cleaning their hands frequently
- Spacing out to allow for distancing
- Wearing face masks or cloth coverings
- Many other things behind the scenes to keep every one safe!
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I pay with cash still? What about Credit/Debit?
Yes, pay cash with individual vendors. Most vendors accept credit/debit and have no-touch card payment options.
Do markets have special hours for at-risk individuals?
Some markets do. Check their Facebook or website to learn more.
Can I bring my own bag?
Yes, most markets will let you use your own bags. You will have to pack your own bag after you make a purchase, to reduce touching.
How else can I stay safe and make this easier for farmers?
Consider buying into a debit/ free-choice CSA. Keep your shopping quick, and be respectful of people waiting in line.
Can SNAP be used at farmers markets?
Yes! Go to the Maine Harvest Bucks website – www.maineharvestbucks.org – to find farmers’ markets that accept SNAP and offer BONUS bucks for every dollar spent.
How do I find a market near me?