A healthy farmers market is about more than locally grown food – it also means a clean market environment and promoting positive life choices! Farmers’ markets have community-focused missions that promote healthy lifestyles and strong communities. There are simple steps market organizers can take to advance their mission and make sure their markets are a cleaner and safer environment for everyone.
Below are resources to promote Healthier Markets from our friends at Healthy Communities of the Capital Area, Healthy Androscoggin, and Maine SNAP-Ed.
Order free posters, resources, and handouts to display and distribute at your farmers’ market via this link.
Community Partners to host at market
- Maine SNAP-Ed Nutrition Educators by County
- UMaine Cooperative Extension Offices by County
- Invite gleaners to your market to help stock local food pantries.
Kids programming at market
Resources on Tobacco Prevention
- Tips for enforcement and confrontations
- Find Your Local Tobacco Prevention Partner!
- Get the Facts About Secondhand Smoke
Resources on Substance Use Prevention
- Free resources/signage on Substance Use Prevention
- Learn more about the laws governing Cannabis in Maine
- Find local partners for support with interventions and training