The Maine Federation of Farmers’ Markets (MFFM) is a 501(c)3 nonprofit running statewide programs that help sustain Maine farms, connect market farmers, strengthen farmers’ markets, and widen access to locally-grown food for all. MFFM was incorporated in 1991, hired its first director in 2011, and now has 2 full time and 5-10 part time staff. Based in Pittsfield, it is the only statewide organization in Maine representing the interests of direct-to-consumer farmers and producers. MFFM seeks a visionary and committed leader to continue to grow the organization, which has recently obtained tax-exempt status, has a rock-solid organizational foundation, and enjoys robust community support!
Essential job responsibilities include:
- Organizational Oversight and Development: Ensures compliance with federal, state, and local regulations, oversees day-to-day operations, works closely with Board of Directors.
- Financial Management: Develops annual budget in conjunction with Board of Directors, and raises the necessary funds, primarily through grants and sponsorships.
- Building and Maintaining Relationships: Represents the organization and the perspective of direct-to-consumer farmers with partners, policy makers, and the public. Makes frequent site visits, works closely with farmers, and attends winter market meetings.
- Communication: The ED ensures that MFFM’s voice remains consistent across all communications platforms, including the newsletter, social media, and with the press.
- Conventions, trainings, and events: With the support of the Board of Directors, the ED plans all aspects of the annual Maine Farmers’ Market Convention, plus other trainings throughout the year.
- Food access work: The ED monitors related policy, including serving on committees, and is often called upon to advocate for Maine farmers and program participants..
- Advocacy: Represents the interests of direct-to-consumer producers to state and local leaders, plan programming to meet their needs, and work to ensure that direct-to-consumer venues for farm products remain a priority for communities statewide.
- Database and resource management: With support from staff, the ED maintains the statewide farmers’ market database, the MFFM website, and the member database.
The ideal candidate will be:
- Outgoing and able to work successfully on a team with diverse members.
- Well-organized and attentive to detail.
- Creative and able to work on multiple projects at once.
- Willing to travel frequently, including day and overnight travel.
- Flexible and able to work in a variety of settings.
- Passionate about farmers’ markets and local food systems’ work.
- Familiarity with nonprofit and/or business management.
- Excellent interpersonal and public speaking skills.
- Experience supervising multiple staff.
- Successful experience with grant writing and development.
- Experience in marketing and promotion, including managing social media accounts.
- Experience in membership development and outreach.
- Ability to work well both independently and collaboratively.
- Knowledge of WordPress and website development and maintenance, MS Office, and web-based communication tools.
- B.A. or B.S., preferably in a related field
Location: MFFM’s office is located in Pittsfield, ME. There is the potential to relocate the office as needed in the future. Interviews, training, and trial period will take place in Pittsfield.
Please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and will be accepted until September 4th, with intent to announce hire in September 2018.