Washington County Farmers’ Market Outreach Liaison
Overview: This position will play an important role in supporting SNAP (the program formerly known as food stamps) access programs at Washington County farmers’ markets. This project is a collaboration with the Maine Federation of Farmers’ Markets (MFFM) and the Women’s Health Resource Library (WHRL).
The Washington County Farmers’ Market Outreach Liaison (“the Outreach Liaison”) will work to support the Milbridge Farmers’ Market Maine Harvest Bucks SNAP incentive program. Additionally, the Outreach Liaison may seek out new partnerships and markets to expand SNAP programming in the area. The Outreach Liaison will collaborate with MFFM, WHRL and market members to plan and implement outreach efforts.
Work will include distribution of Maine Harvest Bucks promotional materials to targeted sites, occasional social media and website updates, coordination of market events that support the Maine Harvest Bucks program, networking to strengthen community relations and awareness of this program, and targeted fundraising to assure sustainability of Washington County farmers’ market SNAP programs.
To learn more about the Maine Harvest Bucks program, visit: www.maineharvestbucks.org
Start date: June 2018
- Collaborate with MFFM and WHRL and market members to plan, implement, and analyze a promotion and outreach campaign, including community outreach as well as on-site market signage and promotion plans
- Assist markets in coordination and implementation of fundraising activities to support the SNAP and Maine Harvest Bucks program such as sponsorship solicitation and special market events
- Direct outreach to local service providers and community organizations that interact with people eligible for food access programs.
- Content creation and distribution in support of SNAP and Maine Harvest Bucks program at markets
- Coordinate with MFFM and WHRL to implement and promote educational activities at markets (i.e. local USDA SNAP Educators and other community partners)
- Communicate with MFFM and/or WHRL by email at least weekly with regular phone check-ins throughout the market season
- Help MFFM and WHRL assess additional markets’ capacity for SNAP program implementation
- Enthusiasm for local food and local food access in Washington County
- Experience with marketing, promotion, and community outreach
- Skills in basic graphic design programs, social media, and web page platforms (some training available)
- Access to reliable transportation
- Access to personal workspace, including phone, computer and internet access
- Ability to communicate effectively via phone, email and in-person
- Detail-oriented and organized
- Friendly and communicative
- The Liaison must be willing to work occasional Saturdays.
This is a part time, summer-focused position (approximately 10 hrs/wk), with potential for continued work through the fall. The total compensation (excluding mileage reimbursement) shall not exceed $2,800 during the 4 month period. $12/hr
Approved mileage expenses will also be reimbursed at a rate of $.485 per mile, and do not count toward the total available for hourly compensation.
Email a cover letter, résumé and 3 work references to Jimmy DeBiasi at SNAP@mffm.org. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.